Monday, January 2, 2012

Well Rooted

Cue the reign of root vegetables and squash [in the winter]! 


(I highly recommend adding rutabagas and turnips as well) 
(Another tip: puree the leftovers into a wonderful, thick soup! ...mmm)
Speaking of which...


Buttercup Squash - regular baked squash prep
This is rivaling my obsession with butternut -- it has this wonderfully creamy texture and is just sweet enough! Alas, I cannot seem to find it anywhere but the farmers market (which is sadly gone until May). Perhaps a field trip to Whole Foods is in order for a final search?!

And what to do with all of that pumpkin puree left from the holiday season?

Well make Pumpkin Spice Biscotti, of course!

I highly recommend this recipe! I added a bit of cardamom, opted for spelt flour and brown sugar, and garnished the top with a sprinkle of shaved almonds and pumpkin spice seasoning. When you take them out of the oven the first time to slice them, the heels (while still warm and slightly spongy...) taste sensational with some beginning-to-melt butter.... mmmm!!  

Also, once these delectable wonders are nice and stale, pair them with a freshly-foamed latte, lightly drizzle them with honey, and savour them in bliss!

(Clearly my sister and I ate them all before I had the chance to take some pictures!)

No comments:

Post a Comment