Friday, March 11, 2011

Protos (first) -> Proteios (primary) -> proteine -> PROTEIN!

My biology book mentioned this website as the "Mecca" for Biotechnology, so logically I had to check it out! It is called the National Center for Biotechnology Information and is a government-run database linking many other science-research databases, as well as ones from foreign countries. I will admit that a large amount of their resources is a bit too "technical" for my dictionary of science jargon, but I still love trying to figure out what they mean! 

So without further ado, I give you: proteins! 
I only researched a few... there are literally millions you can look up! 


Hydrogenase at C-Terminal

Histone (spools around which DNA wraps)

Ribonuclease H2 (involved in hydrolyzing mis-incorporated RNA in replication)

RNase H (hydrolyzes DNA and RNA hybrids)

HNA (human genome helper)

Telomerase Cdc13 in yeast

Glutamine Synthetase (Ligase)

Human Telomerase

Basic Telomerase

Basic Centromere

This one may be my favorite...
Nucleosome (genome regulation)

F Plasmid SopB Complex

Also check out their Coffee Break articles - very fascinating!

1 comment:

  1. Kit,

    How coincidental! I just recently concluded an exhausting term of biology with the final this morning. These images are beautiful. They look like pieces of art work Gregor Mendel would have put up in his room had he lived in a couture monastery decorated by, well, your mother. Anyways, I just thought I would stalk you extensively in a valiant attempt to procrastinate for finals. I must admit, your culinary endeavors, humorous day trips (giant poodle viewings), and sartorial inspiration are perfect diversions. Infused with good ol' Midwestern charm, your blog is definitely going to be a link on the top of my Safari. Looking forward to meeting you in person!

    Much love,
    Fanny

    ReplyDelete